Well it's official: We're off to Wyoming at the end of July. Notice has been given to all employers that our last day will be July 22. I have a very slight hope that my employers will agree to let me continue working for them, albeit remotely and from Wyoming. I can't bank on that, however, so along with the housing search, hiring movers and packing, I get to start a job search. Which means drastically updating my resume and writing cover letters (gag).
It's all happening so fast, which garners excitement, fear, curiosity and sadness, all in rolling waves of emotion. I'm going into this move basically blind; I've never been to Wyoming - the closest I've come is Colorado - so I really have no clue what to expect, except for things I've read online (which are ever so reliable, i.e., if it's on the Internet, it MUST be true). I'm having fun discovering some facts about the state and the area to which we will be moving. Here are a few tidbits (mostly gleaned from Wikipedia):
The state flag has an American Bison front and center
Its nicknames are: The Equality State (first state in the union to allow women to vote! and to elect a woman governor) and The Cowboy State
Its motto is "Equal Rights"
The state sport is rodeo (maybe horse riding is in my future)
It is the least populated state in the U.S. (563,626 in 2010)
It's average elevation is 6700 ft. (we will be around 3800 ft)
Ann Arbor has almost 2x the population of Cheyenne, the capital and largest city in Wyoming
Residents of Wyoming are called "Wyomingites" (kind of awkward) or "Wyoman" (unsure if there is a plural)
We will be living in Big Horn County, which is north-central Wyoming
The Bighorn Canyon Recreation Area and the Bighorn National Forest lie within our county
We will be about 1.5 hours away from the east of boundary of Yellowstone, 4.5 hours from Jackson Hole, 5 hours from Big Sky, 30 miles from the edge of the Bighorn National Forest.
The Bighorn River runs through the town
I've noticed sometimes it is "Big Horn" and others "Bighorn"
The link below shows where we will be (marked with an 'A'). Mike will be working in Greybull, but we will most likely be living in or around Basin, which is just south of Greybull.
Greybull, WY
I'm excited and happy for you and Mike! Vacationing in Jackson Hole, Wyoming has been a dream of mine for quite awhile. Rumor has it that Harrison Ford has a home there, but I don't know if that's still true. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures! The blog is a great idea!
ReplyDeleteGlad you''re doing this, but I still want to TALK to you, as well. XXXX Mom
ReplyDeleteHi Michelle! First, congratulations on your wedding! Ana showed me a few pictures - it looked fabulous. And, she mentioned that you're moving to Wyoming - and then I saw your post on facebook re: this blog. Wahoo!!! This is so exciting!!! If you need any help/advice or a place to crash, my sister moved to Jackson Hole 3 years ago and is having a blast. I'll be following your adventures with envy!
ReplyDelete