Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Windy State

I found this picture of a sign on a website where I was researching wind density in WY.  Pretty amusing:


I keep reading and hearing many reports of Wyoming and how windy it is - ALL THE TIME!  A little bit of a breeze doesn't bother me and I expect the wind might have something to do with their very low humidity levels.  Right now, it is about 1/2 as humid in the area to which we will be moving than it is here in Ann Arbor (35% in WY, 75% in AA) and about the same temperature.  I do hear that the Big Horn Basin is the least windy place in WY, so maybe we won't see as many 4' to 6' snow drifts once the seasons turn.  However, I think the purchase of a back up generator might not be a bad idea.  That and a wood burning stove or fireplace.

I've also been reading conflicting reports about allergies in WY.  Many people say their move from the south, east coast and west coast to WY has dramatically decreased their allergic symptoms.  Some say the dry climate really puts a damper on the damp allergies (specifically to mold and mildew, which are BAD allergens for me), but that the wind picks up dust, pollen, etc. (which are plant-specific allergens for me).  So I guess we will see.  Right now, there are very high grass pollen and moderate tree pollen counts.  I'm also interested to see how Titus' allergies are once we get out there.  Either way, the Zyrtec will be readily available for both of us! 

Another tidbit: not many creepy crawlies around due to the dry conditions; the flea population is also very low (hopefully that also means not many mosquitoes; I'll keep a lot more blood in my body where it belongs if that is true).  There is a very low prevalence of termites as well.  Another good thing, very very low numbers of cases of lyme disease, heartworm and other nasty bug-related diseases for pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment